Tuesday, August 21, 2012

One, Last Week

This is the last week Mrs. Blackwell and I will be keeping our little guy at home all day every day. Beginning next Monday, day care becomes a part of our lives. 

This development represents the end of an era, if an era can ever be composed of just four months. Regardless, life as we've known it is going to change drastically    again.
"Wait, wait, wait. You mean to tell me there
are other babies?"

The comfy enclave that has thus far comprised my son's world has begun expanding and it will likely never be this small and predictable again. 

We are confident we're sending our little guy to a great day care. Mrs. Blackwell and I have met with the folks there and they are experienced professionals who by all appearances love kids. 

But that said, there's still plenty of points of concern for someone looking to nitpick and quibble, which I most certainly am. 

Let's start with the other kids. Actually, let's start by bathing the other kids. Right now, these kids represent tests to my son's immunity and little more    cute little disease mules, that's it, that's all. 

As a former disease mule, I want my kid to avoid following in my footsteps by not wearing a clear slick of goo on his face like some shiny, transparent ninja mask. (Note: My poor mom and dad did their best before doctors finally determined I just needed my tonsils and adenoids removed.)

Next, who's to say what kind of kids he'll be hanging with? Is it possible for a four-month old to learn bad habits from peers? I'm not expecting my boy to come home with a pack of Luckie's tucked in his onesie but, will he learn that throwing tantrums can be a successful strategy? 

While he's at day care, the boy will be eating food prepared in the kitchen there. The administrator informs us that all food is organic and locally sourced, not that we ever requested such a thing. 

Is it possible for a kid to develop a pallet that discriminates against all other non-organic, non-locally-sourced foods?
 
One of my four food groups is "miscellaneous" and I still enjoy meals whose contents are unknown, never minding any notions of local. 

Mrs. Blackwell's tastes are far more refined but, she's not exactly a stickler for organic food either. So, we'll be equally unimpressed if the kid goes off the reservation and starts turning up his nose at Gerber baby food. 

They'll always have the market cornered when  it comes to
learning about eyebrows and turtle necks. 
But, my strategy for this is a simple one: he will eat what we give him, or he'll starve. 

It's my belief that, eventually, he'll come around and eat the food in front of him. (Note: This theory/approach has been neither viewed nor approved by Mrs. Blackwell; but like all of my awesome parenting ideas, I think she'll go for it.)

For her part Mrs. Blackwell is excited that the day care is in possession of some uber-developmentally advanced toys for infants. A great thing indeed, but I hope he'll still have time to enjoy Burt and Ernie, even if they don't have a touch screen or "interactive developmental elements."

Ultimately, babies with germs are something he'll run into anywhere. And healthy, organic food and super-cool baby toys are hardly points of legitimate concern.  

Perhaps it's not the day care that I have concerns about so much as it is the fact that little by little, he's growing. 

1 comment:

Rona Kay said...

It's a milestone, that's for sure! Good luck to you all. Tell Mrs. Blackwell to be sure she has a Kleenex or two tucked away after that first drop off. She might get something in her eye.